A good health insurance plan is a key part of keeping you and your family healthy. Quality time with your doctor is another important aspect of your family’s health care.
Here are some tips to help you maximize the limited amount of time you have with your physician:
- Make sure that your provider accepts your insurance. You can call or go online to your insurance website to see a directory of in-network providers.
- When making the appointment, offer a few details about your concern so that the proper amount of time is allocated.
- Come prepared with knowledge about your family medical history and any paperwork that might help the doctor better understand your health and risk factors.
- Make a list of your current prescriptions, including the doses and frequency of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, as well as herbs, supplements and vitamins.
- Take advantage of annual preventative office visits. These appointments are typically longer and provide more time for you to ask questions and address longer-term health issues.
- Use the buddy system. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by all the information presented during your visit. It may helpful to bring a friend or relative to help you write things down, share medical information, and talk with the health care team.